How to Create Your 10 Year Life Plan
How to Create Your 10 Year Life Plan
Think of the big picture. Think in decades, not in days. What is the vision you have for yourself in 10 years? If you don’t know it yet, then listening to this episode is a must! You will learn how to craft out a 10-year life plan that serves you, why it makes sense to create a blueprint you can follow, and the mistakes people often make when creating a plan. Brenden and Billy discussed all of these and more on this episode.
Tune in today so you can get started on thinking about your 1-decade life plan before 2022!
WHAT WE DISCUSS:
- [01:16] – Topics Brenden and Billy will talk about
- [02:36] – Why thinking big is powerful
- [04:11] – How visualization can help you
- [05:13] – Linear thinking vs. exponential thinking
- [06:31] – Examples of linear thinking and exponential thinking
- [08:25] – What is Mimetic theory
- [10:22] – Conscious comparison
- [11:01] – How to break out of linear thinking
- [13:00] – Becoming more conscious about our decisions
- [17:00] – The blockers that can prevent you from becoming that vision in 10 years
- [19:00] – Focusing on the blockers rather than the accelerators
- [20:03] – Multipliers vs. detractors
- [21:03] – Brendan building his big vision
- [23:48] – Creating a vision board
- [27:14] – Doing mental checks with people you look up to
- [29:00] – How to navigate the “you don’t know, what you don’t know” period of life
- [35:59] – How to judge yourself
- [39:46] – One practical thing that you can do immediately
- [44:07] – How to create a roadmap from your top 3
- [50:04] – How to learn from other people’s mistakes
- [56:33] – What steps you can do right away after listening to this episode
VALUABLE INSIGHTS AND KEY TOPICS:
- Why it is important to think about your life in 10 years
- What is linear thinking and exponential thinking
- The danger of linear thinking
- What is the symbol of success for most people
- How do we break this chain of wanting to follow everyone
- The questions you should be asking yourself to get to a better thinking
- There are leaders who will multiply the abilities and talents of their team and leaders that will detract from the talents and skills of their team
- Getting rid of the shiny object syndrome
- How to build your big vision
- Make sure you’re emotionally invested in planning
- The 3 levels of knowledge
- Prioritizing energy in a way that works for you
- Who are the top 3 people that you want to model?
5 GUIDE QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF:
- What is your big vision?
- Who do you want to be in 10 years
- What is an idea or project you want to pursue?
- What are the things that will prevent you from getting there?
- What better thinking will you apply to get there?
- [08:15] – “The reason we’re taught to be linear thinkers is that human beings are mimetic creatures.”
- [15:37] – “The challenge with most of us human beings that we don’t talk about often is we don’t have exciting enough tenure visions. That’s why we get stuck in shiny object syndrome.”
- [25:43] – “It’s is not an overnight process. It’s a lifelong journey where you’re always adapting.”
- [31:15] – “Life is always a game of odds. Everyone’s given a hand on the poker table and your goal is not to question what are the cards you’re given, but rather to ask yourself how to use those cards to win the game. You also have to know when to turn in those cards and when to keep them.”
Brenden’s Website: https://www.mastertalk.ca/about
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It by Chris Voss
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? By Seth Godin
- Purple Cow, New Edition: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by Seth Godin
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=23010497 )