How To Be A Thought Leader
Do you want to be a thought leader? If so, listen to this one! Brenden and Billy discuss what it takes to become a thought leader.
Today Billy and Brenden talk about what it takes to become a thought leader, defining what a thought leader is, and some of the principles that Brenden believes to be most important to become a thought leader.
What we discussed:
- [03:40] – The thought leaders that stand out in Brenden’s mind
- [05:50] – The concept of the smallest viable audience and Linchpin
- [07:36] – Brenden’s thoughts on Malcolm Gladwell and Tim Ferriss
- [09:02] – His thoughts on Angela Duckworth, Brené Brown
- [13:02] – Understanding where your capacity is
- [15:02] – What people are doing to develop their thought leadership
- [20:33] – Best practices in which you can harness your thought leadership
- [23:57] – What is a vision
- [27:41] – Do not be afraid to create opinions
- [28:25] – The willingness to create consistently
- [30:11] – Holes in your idea
- [33:04] – What one can do to proactively start new ideas?
- [38:26] – Creating a community to stay accountable for your ideas
- [44:20] – Understand which platform is for you
- [47:56] – Have a sustainable interest
- [49:00] – How to make the right decision?
- [52:51] – Don’t just focus on short-term goals
- [56:38] – Commonly held belief in thought leadership that Brenden disagrees with
- [59:40] – Taylor Swift’s strategy for thought leadership
- [1:02:19] – Potential roadblocks that Brenden wants others to avoid
- [1:06:02] – Mistake wise that we should be mindful of
- [1:08:29] – About Brenden’s free training on effective communication
What we discussed:
- There are two ways to be a thought leader. One is to create entirely unique content. And number two is to repackage content in a way that’s never been communicated before.
- To harness your own thought leadership, you should first have a vision for what your thought leadership should be.
- All thought leaders have mastered the ability to question existing knowledge.
- If you want to master communication, then don’t talk about fear of communication.
- If you just accept everything as it is, you would never feel like you need to create your unique ideas. You would just accept everything that you hear.
- To be a leader, you need to be willing to say that it doesn’t make sense, or maybe it could be thought of differently.
- Do not be afraid to create and form points of view and opinions about what you believe, regardless of whether those opinions are factual.
- Refine your thoughts to see if something works, and eventually, those thoughts become true to the majority and super practical.
- New ideas get created as old ones fail over time until you find golden nuggets that rise to the top.
- If you ask yourself a question every single day about life for 30 days, you’ll walk out a completely different human being.
- Creating a community is the easiest way to stay accountable and excited about your ideas
- YouTube is by far the best distribution platform in the world, currently in the free category.
- No matter what lane you pick, make sure that you have long-term sustainable systems built around it so that you won’t ever stop because you got to keep doing it.
- Think about your personal brand in decades, not days.
- Most people want the pazazz. They want the fame that comes with thought leadership. They want to be known, but they’re not willing to talk to different people individually, one at a time.
- If you try and create on all mediums, you cannot survive sustainably.
- [13:03] – “Potential is capacity. It’s the capacity to understand where your potential is.”
- [16:16] – “Frequency is not necessarily an indicator of thought leadership, but rather quality.”
- [47:56] – “Do what you can do sustainably. Have a sustainable interest.”
- [57:15] – “If you want a thousand followers then have a thousand conversations.”
- [1:02:27] – “Aspiring thought leaders is never, ever settle on the existing knowledge you have in your mind.”
YouTube channel mentioned:
- Valuetainment (https://www.youtube.com/c/VALUETAINMENT)
- GaryVee (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCctXZhXmG-kf3tlIXgVZUlw)
- Zero to One by Peter Thiel
USEFUL RESOURCES/ LINKS:
Brenden’s Website: https://www.mastertalk.ca/about
Insight Out Links:
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=23010497)