7 Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Public Speaking – Ravi Rajani
Ravi Rajani is a storytelling coach, communication expert, and public speaker. His story starts at a young age as a dancer and actor. After a career in investment banking, he decided to go back to his roots and tap into his ability to perform through speaking.
Today, he delivers unforgettable training events, boot camps, and masterclasses to help elite consultants craft and deliver their signature stories in a way that connects and makes an impact.
What we discussed:
- [01:27] – What are engineered scenarios, and why should we treat everything as a live performance?
- [03:45] – The concept of the signature story and why it is so important
- [05:35] – The DNA of a signature story
- [08:07] – The SUMO method to create a signature story
- [16:08] – How to cultivate magnetic energy?
- [18:00] – Why should allow yourself to express yourself
- [19:30] – How to express yourself
- [22:14] – The benefits of hypnotherapy
- [25:43] – What is story-selling?
- [28:11] – Why we should be thinking about urgency and emotion
- [31:52] – How to stack the energy to get attention
- [34:10] – Medium and high threshold questions
- [36:42] – How to keep the momentum going?
- [38:26] – How to gain momentum in life?
- [39:38] – The concept of predictability in terms of storytelling
- [41:44] – What are the seven questions you should ask yourself before speaking?
- [46:39] – The questions that people should answer before designing any story or presentation
- [47:34] – Ways to better communicate when there is a lens in front of you
- [53:36] – Tips to practice tone, intonation, pause
- [57:37] – Biggest myths about communication and public speaking
- Content is 1% of the game; 99% is delivery.
- Understand the villain in your life
- If you are trying to speak to everybody, you’re going to impact nobody
- Be comfortable with silence, and give a moment of silence to your audience to absorb what you said.
- Talk to the camera as your best friend to connect to people well.
Tips by Ravi for creating your signature story:
Your signature story should be
- Connection focused
- Organically unpredictable
- Resolution focused
Questions you should ask yourself before speaking
- Who is the person that I want to impact by sharing my message or story today?
- What are the problems that are keeping them up at night?
- What would life be like in 6 months?
- What is the unique mechanism to take your clients from pain to glory?
- What are the fundamental objections that you’ll face?
- What did they want at the end of the presentation?
[02:45] – “Life is a performance.”
[12:54] – “Imperfection equals connection and connection equals conversion.”
[43:12] – “Nobody can solve the problem in a way that you can.”
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=23010497 )
This is an encore episode and was originally published on July 14, 2021